Thursday, July 5, 2012

Rolling the Dice


I got started selling crafts for a few reasons, one of them is simply, I had too much stuff! One cute stuffed crocheted cat is cute. Two is reasonable. After that I just look like the creepy stuffed cat lady, (which is slightly more creepy than a crazy cat lady with living, breathing cats.)

The first year was pretty slow. I sold a few things, and I ended up in the black, which was thrilling! I wasn't just breaking even to “support the habit” I actually made some extra cash! This year things have exploded. All of a sudden I am selling more on Etsy, and getting tons of special orders. This is new to me, too. I am a conservation bio major, who is now learning about business and business transactions.

One such thing I learned in the last week is that, sometimes less is more. Learning how to deal with negotiations and pricing can be a tricky thing to learn. What did I learn this week? Sometimes giving too much information is a bad thing. I gave the client some information because I wanted him to be informed about the breakdown of the his costs, and it backfired on me. Sometimes when you roll the dice you get a 1. Critical Fail. Ugh. I'm trying to not beat myself up too hard and just move on, but man, that account would have been fantastic for my business. This was a "next level" type of deal. Sigh. Lesson learned.

But onward and upward, and speaking of dice! As I work on getting new types of geeky crochet out there, I have been working on my crocheted D20's. It has to be my favorite thing I've made this year so far.

A friend of mine said “Hey I noticed you are making some geeky crochet, do you think you could make a D20 for a friend of mine?” To which I replied “I don't know, let's find out.”

Three experimental versions later I finally ended with this.


I was thrilled with how it turned out, her friend loved it, all was well. And then I promptly swore to never to make one again. Between fine tuning the pattern and shape and beading, I had had it. (I despise embroidery, stupid beads.)

And yet...here I am, making another one. Why? Well , in the end I just can't help it.  They're just too darn cute. My husband insisted they would probably do well, and as it turns out, I just needed a little break. Now that I have the pattern nailed down, and my beading skills have improved dramatically, I'm even finding myself rather enjoying making these guys.

So here's to rolling the the dice, may you all roll 20's.



~By GoblinGal



#D20 #D&D #Dice #Dungeons & Dragons

No comments:

Post a Comment